Monday, August 11, 2008

Conversations with C

I thought I would give you all a small taste of my daily conversations with C, who will turn 4 in just 3.5 weeks. Here's a sampling from today:
Conversation 1
We're on the way to the gym and we get on the interstate near our house. The overpass goes rather high at one point.
C: Mommy, you can see the whole wide world from up here!
Me: What do you think about that?
C: Pretty cool, I guess.
Me: Hmm.
C: We're on top of the trees now. This is what the giants see. They see the whole wide world like this all the time.
Me:Where do the giants live, C?
C: They live outside the world, Mommy. That's why they can see it like this all the time.

Conversation 2
C is having a snack on the way home from the gym. We have been working on our alphabet letters this summer, but not really that hard. C knows how to spell his name but not much else.
C: Mommy, O-R-E-O spells Oreo. Why does Oreo have 2 O's in it?
Me: Well, because if it didn't have 2 O's in it then it would not spell Oreo, it would spell either Ore or Reo!
C: Well, it just can't have 2 O's in it.
Me: Why not?
C: Because my name has 2 O's in it and no one else is allowed to have 2 O's but me!
Me: (silence - decide to tackle this issue later....maybe teachers will deal with this on Thursday when school starts!!!! Mommy is lazy after entire summer at home)

Conversation 3
We have to leave our great-grandmother's house where C has been playing and A has been napping. C does not want to leave, so there is some small fit-throwing and foot-dragging to the car.
C: I've decided I'm not going to go on anymore errand-running Mommy.
Me: Really? How do you figure?
C: I am going to stay home with Daddy or go to work with Daddy and you and A can go run errands. I don't like running errands because I just get too hot.
Me: Well, you don't have to run errands if Daddy is home, but sometimes you just have to go because Daddy is working.
C: Well, I like it when it's hot because the days are long but I don't like it hot when I have to run errands because the car is hot. That's why I'm not going to run any more errands with you.
Me: Well, sometimes you may still have to run errands, C. But, we don't have to run anymore errands today.
C: Well, you're still my friend, Mommy.

1 comment:

Allie said...

That is too cute!! I love that you are still his friend! hahaha! Love it!